14 April, 2011

Ignorance of the Law

Today,riding home from work,traffic was backed up both ways because of a school bus.This bus had the four way AMBER lights blinking.The driver had just dropped off the last kid,as the bus was empty,and she was parked along the curb,using her cellphone.At the point I was sitting in traffic, the right turn lane began.So I started to go,a pick up truck driver waiting to pull out of Lowes said the school bus had it's lights on.I told him, "As long as the red lights aren't on and the stop sign isn't out,you can pass it." He says "Ok, I'll follow you." I drive past the cars lined up in both directions,people looking at me with scorn and dissapproval.
  As I was riding home, I realized I possibly gave them another reason to add to that negative stereotype bikers/riders have already. But I knew the law and they did not.So they needlessly sat in and backed up traffic both ways and in a major intersection. At first I felt guilty for perpetuating a bad impression,but now after starting to write this,they are the drivers that are in the wrong for not knowing the law. Perhaps,though,the bus driver,should have waved them on.All, I know is,regardless of what it looked like,I was right,and everyone else was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment